So you're dating someone and finally you have a partner to walk through life with. Then suddenly you're mid-semester and you're both freakishly busy.
WHAT NOW!?
Is your life ending? Is it all over?
OK, I'm kidding.
No, being mid-semester is kind of like a reality check. Your courses are now in full swing and you don't have to worry about any major interruptions to your schedule. But wait! That means your classes are all running, your homework load is pretty big, and if you're working, you still have to work too!
And what happens if your schedule doesn't align with your significant other's? What do you do now?
Get used to being alone sometimes.
Tucker and I have spent a considerable amount of time together, but we've also spent a lot of time apart. I spent 8 days by Lake Michigan working at Blue Lake. He went to Chicago for 5 days for the Junior Gold National Bowling Tournament. We also have to spend weekends apart now that I'm in school. In fact, we see each other for about 3-4 hours a week maximum. Do we like this arrangment? Not particularly. But when he's sleeping after work and I have free time, or when he wakes up and I'm in the middle of Algebra class, what happens?
Well, I can't speak for him, but this is what happens for me.
I spend a lot of time trying to distract myself from the desire to text or call him because he's asleep and won't answer. I usually put my phone away so I can't see it or I'll text someone else. Another thing I'd suggest is writing things down. What would you say to him/her if they were available? That's what Tucker and I did when we were out of town for our respective adventures. We wrote each other a letter every day and then gave them to each other when we returned home. Knowing that your boyfriend/girlfriend is thinking about you is enough to sometimes make separation easier.
Another thing that I've already mentioned is the use of FaceTime and/or Skype. Tucker and I FaceTime every night before bed while one or both of us does homework. He takes me in to school sometimes so we can see each other and hold hands for a while.
In the end though, you have to figure out what works for you. Every person and every couple has different needs. What do you do when you and your S/O are apart? Comment any ideas you've come up with. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment