It's no secret that I'm a college freshman and a little too proud of it. I'm attending a major university with a 14 credit hour load, and I'm working 14-17 hours a week. Needless to say, I'm pretty busy, and I'm already realizing that I'm not going to be able to do as much "fun stuff" as I did when I was in high school.
So how does a relationship fit into that?
Well...it's not easy. It takes a lot of flexibility and a willingness to work with each other. Tucker and I both are in school, but his course load is a lot lighter than mine, so he has a lot of time to himself. Something we struggle with is getting my schedule to align with his. Here are a few of the things we're trying to make this work.
1. He takes me to school 3 out of 5 days I go in.
I have class 5 days a week, obviously. So Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, Tucker picks me up and takes me to school. It's a short drive, since I only live 20 minutes from campus, but it gives us a little time to talk and laugh a little before I disappear for the day. (Tuesday and Thursday I have all my classes in the same day)
2. We have a date once a week.
It's usually Thursday or Friday after I get out of class. Last Thursday, for example, Tucker found our favorite Arizona tea, and we got a pizza and sat at a park for about 3 hours and talked and acted like children.
3. We FaceTime/Skype every night for an hour or so.
It's usually before bed, so at around 10 or 11 we'll turn on FaceTime until we fall asleep. That allows us to talk about our days, and usually I'm doing homework, so he keeps me focused. (AKA "Stop staring at the shiny things and do your work.")
And just like every other teenager that has a smartphone with unlimited texting, we text each other whenever we can.
Making a relationship work when you're at different colleges with very different schedules can be and is very challenging. However, if you both want it badly enough, it'll work. You just have to be flexible, like I said, and be willing to work with each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment